"...If you have faith as small as a mustard seed...nothing will be impossible for you" Matthew 17:20

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Group Leader

One of my new job descriptions is being in charge of visiting teams that come to the orphanage. The last couple weeks have been my busiest weeks in Ecuador as I have planned and lead two different teams. The first team was a church group from the Boston area. There were 12 people, many of them mothers and daughters and a father and son duo. It was a nice mix of ages with the youngest member being 12 years old and the oldest, late 50s. Currently I have a group of 16 physical therapy students from Northeastern University. They are working on different programs for our special needs children.

In the past couple weeks I have gone on three different field trips with the kids, done 4 different cooking classes, helped with a feeding program at the local dump, lead 3 different city tours, translated physical therapy terms that I don’t even know what they mean in English, did two different school tours, partook in a parade, welcomed and said goodbye to 2 good friends, conducted a scavenger hunt around the city, led a class on how to best barter at the market, and helped with an awesome bonfire. I think I am going to invest in one of those cool umbrellas that the tours guides hold up high when leading groups. Having groups here has let me see and experience new things for which I am very thankful to be a part of. Both of these teams have been such a source of encouragement for me.

I found that I really love spending time with the groups and getting to really know these people. When teams come, the members are open to share with you and eager to help in any way that they can. Their time here looks different depending on the group and the talents that they have, and also the amount of time that they are here with us. Most groups that come down, they play and help care for the children. They will do minor constructions projects around the homes. Let me know if you or somebody you know might be interested in bringing a group down here. It really is a life changing experience for the people who come. I would love to help guide and lead you in your time here!

2 comments:

  1. I was one of the very lucky Boston area group members. Jen, you really made a huge difference in our trip. Felt like we had known you for a long time! So flexible, easy to get along with, entertaining, enthusiastic, funny and very knowledgeable. And to see the children and tias respond so warmly to you is wonderful. Interested in your blog! Hope to get to a cloud forest on my next visit to Ecuador.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to echo what Fran said! We were so lucky to get to know you (and host an awesome bonfire, and run around the city on a scavenger hunt... let's just remember whose team won) and have you as our guide.

    Let me know when you're in Boston next!

    ReplyDelete