"...If you have faith as small as a mustard seed...nothing will be impossible for you" Matthew 17:20

Saturday, October 29, 2011



Nike 10K

When I got back to Ecuador, my friend had told me about a Nike 10k race in Quito that was happening at the end of October. There were 7,000 people who ran in the race. We got a Nike shirt, towels, food, and a bag – I was very excited about all of this free stuff. The race started at 7 pm – we were told to get there 45 minutes earlier. It was cold waiting for 45 minutes at night with shorts and a t-shirt on. I was surrounded by some very intense runners who were doing all these warm-up exercises. The race started with fireworks being shot up in the sky and we were off. I was excited to run the whole way and finish in just over an hour. It was exciting running with that many people and having a crowd to cheer you on. When I got to the finish line I was supposed to meet up with my friends. I was calling them and trying to find them but they had forgotten their cell phones at home. This automatically made me think that they were dead somewhere. I walked around a huge park for over an hour searching for them. They apparently were feet away from me. They had asked the man at the finish line if I had finished yet. Apparently my chip didn’t register correctly so there was no record of me in the system. So they thought I had died somewhere too- naturally these are our first thoughts. We finally met up at home after a long search. The computer says I did not finish because of my chip issue– very sad. I did however make it on our local news. Some people told me they saw me on TV. I do not have TV, so I can not vouch for that. Anyway it was a great first race to do in Quito. I’m getting ready to run with Diane in the half-marathon in Disney in February. Apparently you get a glass tiara at the end! I’m looking forward to running more races here in Quito in the months ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment