"...If you have faith as small as a mustard seed...nothing will be impossible for you" Matthew 17:20

Monday, August 6, 2012

Tribal Dancing II

I often tell the story of my very first weekend in Ecuador of how I got to participate in a celebration of the founding of one of the caregiver’s towns. As most of you have heard this story, you will remember there was throwing of oranges, tearing apart of a live chicken, and dancing for seven hours in a circle. Well the last couple years I’ve been unable to participate again as I’ve had a team or I’ve been away. Well this year it fell on Saturday and I didn’t have to pick my next team up from the airport until later that night. So lo and behold I got to take part again in this awesome festival. I invited two other volunteers from the orphanage to come along. We once again were given the typical dress consisting of blouse, skirt, poncho, hair wrap, and jewelry.  We drank the typical drink and ate some corn. All of the caregiver’s family members remembered me from last time. I’m pretty sure there are not many white girls traveling to this town. We paraded and danced this time only for three hours to the same song as I had to catch a bus to get back to pick up my team. Well since this is a pretty remote town, it was challenging finding a bus back to Quito. We eventually jumped in the back of random pickup truck (this was at around 7:30 – dark and cold!) who brought us to one of the main highways. We got there just in time to catch the last bus back to Quito! Unfortunately, I did not get to take part in any animal sacrifices this time.
This same little girl next to me remembered me from 3 years ago ---there aren't many foreigners coming into this town! This is my friend Christine with another little girl. 

Doesn't this sheep look fake?

This is me with Tia Alicia - she's pretty awesome!

Starting our parade down the street
Getting into our circle for some dancing

No comments:

Post a Comment