"...If you have faith as small as a mustard seed...nothing will be impossible for you" Matthew 17:20

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Mindo: Cloud Forest



This is one of my favorite spots in Ecuador. I have been there four times now. It is nice because it is only a 2 hour bus ride from Quito. As you look out the bus window the scenery changes drastically. You go from being surrounded to mountains and volcanoes to lush vegetation and just greenness everywhere! We are in rainy season right now, which means rain pretty much every day. The cloud (rain) forest was no exception. It rained a lot! I did not have an umbrella or raincoat which made for very soaked clothes. Each time that I have gone I have stayed in the same hostal, which reminds me of a tree house. There are fun hammocks to swing in and the shower has an opening at the top part of the wall which allows for some beautiful viewings of the surrounding area as you shower. I was excited to see that 3 different natives remembered me from the last times I’ve been there (one of them was the owner of the organic chocolate place, you can guess how often I ate there…. The highlight of the trip was an afternoon hike that we took. We walked through the rainforest to visit six different waterfalls. The hike consisted of us tramping through very muddy areas, crossing rivers knee deep with our sneakers on, avoiding fuzzy caterpillars (apparently they are not safe to touch), and crossing wooding cable bridges with many wooden boards missing. It was a fun weekend because I got to spend time with friends from last year who are visiting, friends who live about an hour away, a friend from college, and my roommate. So it was a big group of us and a nice change of pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment